Business cards play a crucial role in promoting your business and leaving a lasting impression on potential clients. In this tutorial, we will walk you through the process of making beautiful business cards using your Cricut machine. We will focus on using the Print then Cut feature in Design Space, which is an affordable and time-saving method.
By the end of this tutorial, you’ll be equipped with the knowledge to create personalized business cards that reflect your unique brand identity.
Should you Make or Buy your Business Cards?
Before diving into the tutorial, it’s important to consider whether you should make or buy your business cards. While making your own business cards allows for customization and cost savings, purchasing professionally printed cards can be a convenient option. Weigh the pros and cons based on your specific needs and time constraints.
Tools & Materials
To create business cards with your Cricut machine, you will need the following tools and materials:
- Cricut Machine (Maker Family, Explore Family)
- Fine Point Blade
- Light or Standard Grip Mat
- High Quality Cardstock
Selecting high-quality cardstock is crucial to ensure your business cards look professional. Avoid using cheap materials as they may result in a subpar final product.
Step 1 – Make Business Cards in Cricut Design Space
Making business cards in Cricut Design Space is a straightforward process. Follow these steps:
- Add Card: Launch Design Space and click on the “Shapes” icon in the left panel. Choose the square shape and resize it to match the desired dimensions for your business cards. Typically, business cards have a standard size of 3.5 x 2 inches. Adjust the color of the card as needed.
- Add Extra Shapes to Make Contrast: To create contrast on your business card, add another square shape of a different color and resize it to fit the card. Align the shapes using the “Align” function in the top menu.
- Add Images & Text: Personalize your business card by adding images and text. Use the available images in Design Space or upload your own. Choose relevant images that align with your business or profession. Add text elements such as your business name, contact information, and any other details you want to include.
- Add Extra Details & Flatten: Enhance the design of your business card by adding extra details. Experiment with different shapes like hearts, stars, or diamonds. Ensure all the elements are aligned properly. Once satisfied with the design, select all the layers and click on the “Flatten” icon at the bottom of the layers panel. This step prepares the design for the Print then Cut process.
Step 2 – Mat Preview and Material Selection
After finalizing the design, proceed with the following steps:
- Add Extra Copies: In the Mat Preview and Material Selection interface, determine the number of business cards you want to print and cut. Consider your requirements and add the desired number of copies. This feature allows you to optimize your printing and cutting process.
- Print: Click on “Continue” to proceed with printing. Ensure your printer is set up correctly and select the appropriate options such as the number of copies and print quality. If necessary, adjust the print settings to achieve the desired results.
- Select Material: After printing, it’s time to choose the material setting in Design Space. For business cards, select the type of cardstock you’re using. Opt for the highest quality cardstock available to ensure a professional look.
Step 3 – Prepare Mat & Cut
Follow these steps to prepare the mat and cut your business cards:
- Place the printed copy on your Cricut mat, ensuring it adheres firmly. You can use a brayer to secure the paper without applying excessive pressure.
- Install the fine point blade in your Cricut machine and load the mat. Press the flashing “Go” button to start the cutting process. The machine will read the black frame on the project before cutting the business cards.
- Once the cutting process is complete, unload the mat and gently bend it to release the business cards. Take care not to damage the cards while removing them.
Business Cards with Uploaded Templates
If you prefer to use your own templates or designs, you can upload them to Design Space. Follow these steps:
- Step 1 – Upload Files: Click on the “Upload” icon in Design Space and select “Upload Image.” Choose the files you want to upload from your device. Once uploaded, click on “Insert Images” to add them to your canvas.
- Step 2 – Ungroup and Slice: Ungroup any elements that need separation and use the Slice function to cut out specific shapes or sections. This allows you to create unique designs and incorporate various elements into your business cards.
- Step 3 – Slice to Form Watercolor Shape: If you have watercolor images or shapes, place them on your design and use the Slice function to create cut-outs. This technique adds visual interest and depth to your business cards.
- Step 4 – Add Text and Offset: Personalize your business cards by adding text. Choose suitable fonts that align with your brand and ensure they are easily readable. Utilize the Offset tool to create contrast between the watercolor shapes and the text.
After completing the cutting process, your business cards are ready to impress. Take a moment to admire the final result—a collection of professionally designed and crafted business cards. The attention to detail and customization will set you apart from the competition.
Congratulations on successfully creating beautiful business cards with your Cricut machine! You have learned how to design and print your own cards using Print then Cut in Cricut Design Space. Whether you decide to make your own cards or order them online, consider the time, cost, and level of customization required for your business needs.
Remember, business cards serve as a valuable marketing asset, representing your brand and leaving a lasting impression on potential clients or customers. By utilizing your Cricut machine, you can create personalized and professional business cards that reflect your unique style and enhance your brand identity.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Can you make business cards with Cricut Joy? Yes, you can make business cards with the Cricut Joy machine. However, keep in mind that Cricut Joy has certain limitations compared to other Cricut machines, such as smaller cutting dimensions and fewer features. Consider these limitations when designing and cutting business cards with Cricut Joy.
- How to make business cards with cardstock? To make business cards with cardstock, follow the same process outlined in this tutorial. Use high-quality cardstock that is suitable for printing and cutting. Ensure your Cricut machine is equipped with a fine point blade to achieve clean and precise cuts on the cardstock.
- Can I print my business logo with Cricut? Yes, you can print your business logo with Cricut using the Print then Cut feature. Design your business card with the logo included, and ensure the logo is within the printable area. Print the design on your chosen material, and then use your Cricut machine to cut around the printed logo.
- Can Cricut be used to cut metal? Yes, the Cricut Maker and Cricut Explore series can cut thin metal materials for certain projects. However, keep in mind that the Cricut is primarily designed for cutting paper, vinyl, fabric, and other materials commonly used in crafting. Ensure you use the appropriate blade and settings for cutting metal, and consult Cricut’s guidelines and recommendations for working with metal.